Most of the following awards were a team effort including cities, other consultants, team members, and community members. These cities, individuals, and communities are not mentioned below. However, the credit for outstanding accomplishment should not only go to MVH but to all the cities, individuals, consultants, and communities who took an active part in the process and products.
- 2016 Award of Merit, Alberta Professional Planners Institute, Bragg Creek Revitalization Plan, Bragg Creek, Alberta
(with McElhanney Consultants)
- 2016 Gold Award, Excellence in Planning Practice, Planning Institute of British Columbia, Lougheed Town Centre Core Area Master Plan, Burnaby, B.C.
(MVH developed sustainability component and evaluation)
- 2015 Mayor’s Urban Design Awards, City of Calgary, Winner: Approved or Adopted Urban Design Plans, Large Retail/Commercial Area Urban Design Guidelines, City of Calgary Urban & Heritage Group ), Calgary, Alberta
(MVH supported and helped facilitate the process with the City of Calgary).
- 2015 Honorable Mention, Excellence in Planning Policy, Small Town and Rural Areas, Planning Institute of British Columbia, Lake Country Integrated Sustainability Plan, Lake Country, B.C.
(with Golder Associates)
2014 Gold Award, Planning Award for Excellence, Planning Institute of British Columbia, Excellence in Policy Planning (Small Town and Rural Areas), Town of Penticton Downtown Master Plan, Penticton, B.C.
2014 Award of Merit, Alberta Professional Planners Institute, City of Leduc Downtown Master Plan, Leduc, Alberta
- 2013 International Eco-City Design Competition, 1st Place Award, Huangshi, China
- 2012 Planning Awards of Excellence, Planning Institute of British Columbia, Honourable Mention, Town of Gibsons Harbour Plan, Gibsons, B.C.
- 2012 “Rising Star” Award (top 1% of books), Dynamic Urban Design: A Handbook for Creating Sustainable Communities Worldwide. iUniverse Publishers, Bloomington, Indiana, 2013.
- 2012 “Editor’s Choice” Award (top 5% of books), Dynamic Urban Design: A Handbook for Creating Sustainable Communities Worldwide. iUniverse Publishers, Bloomington, Indiana, 2013.
- 2012 Heritage Registry of Who’s Who for Executives and Professionals, recognized as an honorary member, New York.
- 2010 Planning Awards of Excellence, Planning Institute of British Columbia, City of Langley Downtown Master Plan, Langley, B.C.
- 2010 Council for the New Urbanism, Regional Charter Award, Southlands Community: Agricultural Urbanism, (Tsawwassen) Delta, B.C.
- 2009 Planning Awards of Excellence, Planning Institute of British Columbia, Langford/Colwood Joint Official Community Plan, Langford and Colwood, B.C.
- 2008/2009 Awards by the Economic Development Association of British Columbia for the Langley Downtown Master Plan, Langley, B.C.
- 2008 Award of Excellence by the Union of British Columbia Municipalities for the Langford/Colwood Joint Official Community Plan, Langford and Colwood, B.C.
- 2007 Award of Excellence by the Alberta Association, Canadian Institute of Planners for the Liberty Crossing at Gasoline Alley Urban Design Plan, Red Deer County, Alberta.
- 2007 Master Planned Community of the Year by the Urban Development Institute, Pacific Region, Garrison Crossing, Chilliwack, B.C.
- 2006 Community Excellence Award – Leadership & Innovation, by the Union of British Columbia Municipalities, Weyerhaeuser/Ucluelet Comprehensive Development Plan, Ucluelet, B.C.
- 2006 Planning Awards of Excellence, Honourable Mention, Planning Institute of British Columbia, Weyerhaeuser/Ucluelet Comprehensive Development Plan, Ucluelet, B.C.
- 2005 Development Excellence Award, Garrison Crossing Neighbourhood, (MVH was on the prime consulting team for planning, and urban design) City of Chilliwack Chamber of Commerce, Chilliwack, B.C.
- 2005 Award of Planning Excellence, Planning Institute of British Columbia, Maplewood Sustainable Community and Eco-Industrial Network Project, District of North Vancouver, B.C.
- 2005 Award of Planning Excellence, Planning Institute of British Columbia, Lower Twelfth Street Area Plan, City of New Westminster, B.C.
- 2004 Canadian Association for University Continuing Education, Award of Excellence, for the Urban Design Certificate Program at Simon Fraser University.
- 2003 Planning Institute of British Columbia Award for “Visual Enhancements to the New Westminster Zoning”, Comprehensive and Policy Plans Category, City of New Westminster, B.C.
- Who’s Who in the 21st Century – Second Edition (2002), Urban Design, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England.
- 2000 Citation of Meritorious Achievement for Urban Design, as one of 2000 outstanding artists and designers of the 20th Century, awarded by the International Biographical Center, Cambridge, England.
- 1999 Professional Awards Juror, Canadian Society of Landscape Architects.
1997 National Awards Committee Member, American Planning Association.
- 1995 Honour Award for the City of Vancouver CityPlan “innovation in public participation” by the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- 1995 Award of Excellence, Vancouver CityPlan Public Program, Planning Institute of British Columbia.
1994 Contributions to Local Democracy Award, CityPlan Resource Centre, City of Vancouver, Social Planning and Research Council of British Columbia.
- 1993 Special Achievement Award for the City of Vancouver CityPlan Program as an “exemplary and innovative planning program” by the International Downtown Association.
1981 Commendation for Design Excellence, U.S. Dept. of Transportation and the National Endowment for the Arts, Washington, Community Assistance Program Project, Harvard University Graduate School of Design.
1979-80 Research and Teaching Assistantship, Real Estate Development Studio and Development Economics, Harvard Graduate School of Design.
1974 Student Council Graduating Scholarship, Nepean High School, Ottawa, Ontario.